Application Process & Criteria
Application Process and Rental Agreement Fees
Thank you for applying for a rental home with Jim McNeeley Real Estate. We would like to go over some of our policies and procedures so you know what to expect from your potential future landlord.
Viewing the Property
- Please note the pet restrictions in our screening criteria.
- We require you to view the exterior of the property in person before we will schedule a viewing. Properties will not typically be shown until after the availability date.
- Please do not disturb current occupants.
- Applicant must move in or begin paying rent within 14 days of approval.
What is Required
The following is required for each adult (18 or older) in order to consider an application complete.
- Your application
- A non-refundable $50.00 screening fee per adult (18 or older) – If using PayPal fee may apply
- A copy of an ID for all adults applying
- Income verification (paycheck stub, etc.)
- Copy of your renter’s insurance policy at the time of signing your Reservation Agreement (per ORS 90.222)
- A completed Pet Screening profile for all applicants that own a pet and/or animal; please see below for details in the pets/animals section.
Please read below for our specific screening criteria. We process completed applications on a first come, first serve basis. Your application, screening fee, photo ID, verification of income, and all additional documents must be completely submitted in order to be considered complete. We will refund your screening fee if a previous applicant has been approved or if you were not screened for any reason. https://www.petscreening.com/referral/PePz45Rbj8FE please see below for additional details in the pets/animals section.
Processing the Application
- Each applicant has 24 hours from the time of submitting an application to complete their application which includes: providing the screening fee, ID, Income verification, Pet Screening profile (for pet/animal owners), and all applicable required information to accompany the application. Failure to provide the required information within 24 hours of submitting an application will cancel your application.
- Application screening information (verification of tenancy, employment verification, Pet Screening, etc.) needs to be obtained and verified within 48 hours from the time the screening process begins; if your application information cannot be verified within this timeframe, your application will result in a conditional approval or be denied
The processing of your application will result in 4 possible outcomes:
- Acceptance of application
- Conditional approval with requirement of up to ONE month's additional deposit
- Conditional approval with qualified cosigner
- Denial of Application
Your application, screening fee, photo ID, verification of income, and all additional documents must be completely submitted in order to be considered. If the application is approved, applicants will have 24 hours from the time of notification to confirm acceptance of property.
Applicants will have 48 hours from the time of notification to either execute a rental agreement and make all deposits required there under or make a deposit to hold the unit and execute a reservation deposit agreement which will provide for the forfeiture of the deposit if applicants fail to occupy the unit. If applicants fail to timely take the steps required above, they will be deemed to have refused the unit and the next application for the unit will be processed.
If a co-signer is required, a completed co-signer application, screening fee, ID, verification of income, and all additional documents must be completely submitted in order to be considered.
- Upon renting a home with us we collect a security deposit and a full month’s rent, regardless of the day that you take possession of the home.
- Security Deposit amounts are typically $100 less than the rent if you are fully qualified.
- Your second month will be pro-rated to the number of days that you had possession in the previous month. For example, if you move in on January 13 you will pay a full month’s rent and security deposit by that date and would pay for 19 days of pro-rated rent on February 1.
- Pro-rated rent is determined by the amount of one month’s rent X 12 months / 365 days X the number of days in the first month that you will be occupying the property.
- Your security deposit and first month’s rent must be paid by certified funds such as a money order or cashier’s check.
- Personal checks and cash will NOT be accepted for move in amounts.
It is the tenant’s responsibility to put the utilities into their name for which they are responsible before their move in date. Further instructions will be provided for you once you are approved for the property.
- Large liquid saving/investment accounts may be used to qualify in lieu of income. Current balance must be at least 5 times the amount of rent paid over the entire lease. Bank statements are only acceptable for proof of income in this instance; they are otherwise not acceptable for proof of income.
- A combination of income and savings may be considered.
Rental Agreement & Fees
- Rent is due to our office on the first of each month and late after the fifth.
- Late fee is $100.00 or 10% of the monthly rent amount, per occurrence.
- Dishonored checks (NSF checks) shall be treated as unpaid rent subject to the late fee and, in addition, shall be subject to an NSF fee of $35.00.
- In addition, tenants may be charged any statutory fee provided by law.
- After the tenant has tendered one check that is dishonored, all future checks must be tendered in the form of cashier’s checks or money orders.
- Repairs or maintenance of tenant caused damages and cleaning above normal wear and tear during occupancy or at termination will be billed at $55 per hour as assessed by the landlord.
- Tenant(s) shall immediately report in writing, all malfunctions of equipment, failure of essential services or need for repair.
- Damage caused by tenant such as stoppage of waste pipes or overflow of toilets, bathtubs or sinks shall be paid by tenant as well as any damage to walls & floors caused by failure to disconnect exterior faucets during freezing weather.
- Any damage caused because of Tenant supplied appliances (ie washing machine, dryer, refrigerator, dishwasher, etc.) shall be the responsibility of the tenant to pay for and/or repair.
- Tenant shall be assessed a minimum of $50.00 for each and every violation of this rule.
- Charge for early lease termination by tenants is equal to 1.5 months’ rent.
- Tenant(s) is to use the premises for a dwelling unit and not conduct any commercial activity or services for compensation in or on the property without the PRIOR written consent of landlord. Child care shall be considered a business and shall not be conducted for any reason.
- Smoking is not allowed in any of our rental properties. Some properties may not allow smoking on the entire premises.
- Typically no more than two pets are allowed on any of our properties. No breeds with violent tendencies or uninsurable breeds such as, but not limited to, Pit Bulls, Rottweiler, German Sheppard, or Dobermans are allowed.
- Some properties may have more restrictive pet policies.
- No pet that has any history of violence or destroying property will be allowed. No kittens or puppies under one year old are allowed. Jim McNeeley Real Estate reserves the right to verify that pets did not cause harm or damage through third party landlord or past landlord.
- The security deposit will be increased by $500 for every approved pet.
- We prohibit growing any marijuana, for any purpose, on any part of the premises, including common areas.
REMOVING OR TAMPERING - It is a violation of law to remove or tamper with a properly functioning smoke detector or alarm, including removing working batteries or non-payment of electrical service which renders the device inoperative. Should the tenant or someone under their control cause the smoke detector to be inoperative the landlord may assess a penalty of $250.00 and/or terminate the rental agreement.
KEYS AND CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTORS - If all keys, garage door openers and Carbon Monoxide Detectors or their User Manual(s) initially given to tenant(s) are not returned upon move out, $15 per key, $75 per garage door opener and $70 per Carbon Monoxide Detectors will be withheld from the security deposit. Typically JMRE does not have copies of mail keys for security purposes. If no mail key is given tenant is responsible for obtaining a key from the post office that services their address. Frequently the post office will charge a fee of approx. $25-$50
A $50 fee will be imposed for the following rental agreement violations:
- Late payment of utility
- Failure to clean pet waste
- Failure to clean garbage/rubbish
- Parking violation or improper use of vehicle.
Again thank you for considering Jim McNeeley Real Estate as your landlord. We look forward to working with you and offering you exceptional customer service!