Application Process and Rental Agreement Fees
Thank you for applying for a rental home with Jim McNeeley Real Estate. We would like to go over some of our policies and procedures so you know what to expect from your potential future landlord.
We do not accept housing vouchers at this time. Please note the pet restrictions in our screening criteria. We require you to view the exterior of the property in person before we will schedule a viewing. Properties will not typically be shown until after the availability date. Please do not disturb current occupants. If you wish to apply sight unseen then you must sign a waiver accepting the house in as-is condition. This can be found at http://www.mcneeley.com/rental_listings by clicking on the “Early Approval Waiver” link. Applicant must move in or begin paying rent within 30 days of approval.
Please return 1) your application; 2) a non-refundable $50.00 application fee per adult (18 or older); 3) a copy of an ID for all adults applying; and 4) income verification (paycheck stub, etc.). Please read below for our specific screening criteria. We process our applications on a first come, first serve basis. You must at least have your application submitted with the application fee in order to be considered. We will refund your application fee if a previous applicant has been approved.
Applications online can be filled out by visiting our list of rental properties at http://www.mcneeley.com/rental_listings First, please use the PayPal feature to pay the appropriate number of applications fees. Second, select the property that you wish to apply for. You can then start the application process by clicking the “View Details” tab and then the “Apply Now” tab. Fill out the application as completely as possible to avoid delays. You will then need to submit your income verification and a copy of your photo id by either emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org or faxing us at 503-292-4597. You also have the option of picking up a paper application from our office or from the agent that showed you the property. You can then return the application, the application fee, photo id, and income verification to our office at 1519 SW Marlow Ave, Portland, OR 97225.
The processing of your application will result in 4 possible outcomes: 1) Acceptance of application; 2) Conditional approval with requirement of up to ONE month's additional deposit; 3) Conditional approval with qualified cosigner; and 4) Denial of Application
After submission of the application and application fee, additional required documents must be submitted within 24 hours to avoid denial. If the application is approved, applicants will have 24 hours from the time of notification to confirm acceptance of property. Applicants will have 48 hours from the time of notification to either execute a rental agreement and make all deposits required there under or make a deposit to hold the unit and execute a reservation deposit agreement which will provide for the forfeiture of the deposit if applicants fail to occupy the unit. If applicants fail to timely take the steps required above, they will be deemed to have refused the unit and the next application for the unit will be processed.
Upon renting a home with us we collect a security deposit and a full month’s rent, regardless of the day that you take possession of the home. Security Deposit amounts are typically $100 less than the rent if you are fully qualified. Your second month will be pro-rated to the number of days that you had possession in the previous month. For example, if you move in on January 13 you will pay a full month’s rent and security deposit by that date and would pay for 19 days of pro-rated rent on February 1. Pro-rated rent is determined by the amount of one month’s rent X 12 months / 365 days X the number of days in the first month that you will be occupying the property. Your security deposit and first month’s rent must be paid by certified funds such as a money order or cashier’s check. Personal checks and cash will NOT be accepted for move in amounts.
It is the tenant’s responsibility to put the utilities into their name for which they are responsible before their move in date. Further instructions will be provided for you once you are approved for the property.
Rental Agreement Fees
Rent is due to our office on the first of each month and late after the fifth. Late fee is $100.00 per occurrence. Dishonored checks (NSF checks) shall be treated as unpaid rent subject to the $100.00 late fee and, in addition, shall be subject to an NSF fee of $25.00. In addition, tenant may be charged any statutory fee provided by law. After the tenant has tendered one check that is dishonored, all future checks must be tendered in the form of cashier’s checks or money orders. Repairs or maintenance of tenant caused damages and cleaning above normal wear and tear during occupancy or at termination will be billed at $55 per hour as assessed by the landlord. Tenant(s) shall immediately report in writing, all malfunctions of equipment, failure of essential services or need for repair. Damage caused by tenant such as stoppage of waste pipes or overflow of toilets, bathtubs or sinks shall be paid by tenant as well as any damage to walls & floors caused by failure to disconnect exterior faucets during freezing weather. Any damage caused because of Tenant supplied appliances (ie washing machine, dryer, refrigerator, dishwasher, etc.) shall be the responsibility of the tenant to pay for and/or repair. Tenant shall be assessed a minimum of $50.00 for each and every violation of this rule. Charge for early lease termination by tenants is equal to 1.5 months rent.
REMOVING OR TAMPERING: It is a violation of law to remove or tamper with a properly functioning smoke detector or alarm, including removing working batteries or non-payment of electrical service which renders the device inoperative. Should the tenant or someone under their control cause the smoke detector to be inoperative the landlord may assess a penalty of $250.00 and/or terminate the rental agreement.
KEYS AND CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTORS – If all keys, garage door openers and Carbon Monoxide Detectors or their User Manual(s) initially given to tenant(s) are not returned upon move out, $15 per key, $75 per garage door opener and $70 per Carbon Monoxide Detectors will be withheld from the security deposit. Typically JMRE does not have copies of mail keys for security purposes. If no mail key is given tenant is responsible for obtaining a key from the post office that services their address. Frequently the post office will charge a fee of approx. $25-$50
A $50 fee will be imposed for the following rental agreement violations: 1) Late payment of utility; 2) Failure to clean pet waste; 3) Failure to clean garbage/rubbish; 4) Parking violation or improper use of vehicle.
Again thank you for considering Jim McNeeley Real Estate as your landlord. We look forward to working with you and offering you exceptional customer service!
Rental Criteria for Residency
At Jim McNeeley Real Estate and Property Management, Inc., we are committed to selecting tenants in a fair and equitable manner regardless of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, familial status, disability, marital status, source of income, sexual orientation including gender identity, honorably discharged veterans / military status, and domestic violence victims.
1. Occupancy is based on the number of bedrooms in a unit.
2. Typically two persons per bedroom are allowed with an exception for children under 2 years old.
3. Each applicant 18 or older must submit an application.
4. We will require up to three business days to process your application. Inability to verify information could delay this process.
1. Legible identification with a picture will be required. Emailing your identification to email@example.com is preferred.
2. Each applicant will be required to qualify individually or as per specific criteria areas.
3. Inaccurate or falsified information will be grounds for denial of the application.
4. Any individual currently using illegal drugs or whose tenancy may constitute a direct threat to the health and safety of any individual, the complex, or the property of others will be denied tenancy. Applicants making any derogatory statements and/or show combative behavior at any time during the application process will be denied tenancy.
1. Monthly gross income of at least three times the stated rent is required and must be from a verifiable legal source. Monthly gross income of 2.5 times the stated rent is required for properties where the landlord pays three or more utilities (e.g. water/sewer/garbage)
2. Large liquid saving/investment accounts may be used to qualify in lieu of income. Current balance must be at least 5 times the amount of rent paid over the entire lease.
3. A combination of income and savings may be considered.
1. Tenants must provide written verification of current employment with year to date information.
2. Tenants accepting a new job must present an employment offer letter with start date and wage/salary terms.
3. Self-employed applicants will be verified through state corporation commission and will be required to provide tax returns or financial statements from the most recent year filed to show income.
1. One year of verifiable contractual rental history from a current/former third party landlord or home ownership is required. Less than one year history will require a cosigner or result in denial of the application.
2. Seven years of eviction-free history is required or the application will be denied.
3. No more than three non-payments of rent notices or three dishonored checks in the past one year period or the application will be denied.
4. Discovery of rental history reflecting unpaid damages or unpaid rent will result in denial of the application.
1. Negative or adverse debt showing on consumer credit report may require additional deposit equal to one month’s rent, a qualified cosigner, or result in denial of the application.
2. Five or more unpaid collections (not related to medical expenses) will result in denial of the application.
Criminal Conviction Criteria
A denial of the application may result if the following is found:
1. Any felony conviction, guilty plea, or no contest plea for any crime, included but not limited to, serious injury, kidnapping, death, arson, rape, sex crimes, or extensive property damage. Any misdemeanor conviction, guilty plea, or no contest pleas included but not limited to, assault, intimidation, property damage, weapon charges, or any sex-related.
2. A conviction, guilty plea, or no contest plea in the last five years for any B or C misdemeanor which includes but is not limited to those involving criminal trespass, theft, fraud, dishonesty, or prostitution.
Pending charges or outstanding warrants for any of the above will result in the suspension of the application process until the issues are resolved. No unit will be held waiting resolution of the pending charges.
1. Smoking is not allowed in any of our rental properties. Some properties may not allow smoking on the entire premises.
2. Typically no more than two pets are allowed on any of our properties. No breeds with violent tendencies or uninsurable breeds such as Pit Bulls, Rottweiler, German Sheppard, or Dobermans are allowed.
3. Some properties may have more restrictive pet policies.
4. No pet that has any history of violence or destroying property will be allowed. No kittens or puppies under one year old are allowed. Jim McNeeley Real Estate reserves the right to verify that pets did not cause harm or damage through third party landlord or past landlord.
5. The security deposit will be increased by $500 for every approved pet.
6. We prohibit growing any marijuana, for any purpose, on any part of the premises, including common areas.
Jim McNeeley Real Estate allows existing premises to be modified at the full expense of the disabled person. We may ask that the disabled person agrees to restore the premises to the original condition at their expense. We require:
1. Applicant seeks landlord’s written approval before making modifications.
2. Written estimate by licensed and qualified contractor specifying the details of the work to be done.
3. Appropriate building permits and licenses required are made available to landlord.
4. Additional deposit for the restoration may be required.
1. Very good established credit will be required.
2. Home ownership preferred, but will consider long standing positive rental history.
3. Must have income of at least 3 times the rent and provide written proof of income.
4. A cosigner is only an option where an applicant has insufficient verifiable income, lacks credit history or lacks rental history.
5. One cosigner is responsible for all occupants on the lease.
Application check list:
All Application boxes filled out completely
Copies of IDs
$50 Application fee per adult
To fill out an online application:
Find the property you wish to apply to and click 'View Details'
On the property listing page, click 'Apply Now’!
Thank you for your business!
You must have your application submitted with the application fee in order to be considered for a property.
Here's what is required:
1) your application;
2) a non-refundable $50.00 application fee per adult (18 or older);
3) a copy of an ID for all adults applying; and
4) income verification (paycheck stub, etc.).
Please read the Application Process and Rental Agreement Fees found on our Applicants page for our specific screening criteria. We process our applications on a first come, first serve basis. We will refund your application fee if a previous applicant has been approved.
If you are applying for a rental property and have not viewed the inside and/or outside of the home this form must accompany your application before we can start the application process-
Thank you for your business!